Monday, February 6, 2012

How often do you use a recipe?

Just wondering? I mean, I've seen people asking for recipes for apple sauce and omelettes on here. I've made both and I've never used a recipe for them. I only use recipes for cakes, or to check what ingredients I need for things that are new to me eg coq au vin, lamb tagine. Do most people like to follow a recipe? I fear I'm a Lazy Person cos I don't.How often do you use a recipe?
i never needed to use a recipe for apple sauce or omelette's but i was lucky my mother show me how to cook, i use recipes sometimes but mainly to get ideas than i change them to suit what i have in the house, it does not made you lazy
I like to just scan a recipe to get the basic idea, then I usually get in there and conjure up my own version of it the way I would like it.



At work, I'm a pastry chef and I insist my chefs' use recipes, but I've been doing it for so long sometimes I just create these things from my head using the basic theory of how certain things react with others to make it work.

Certain dishes I will always use a recipe for though.



I guess some people just have a feel for it and others are less confident - everybody has their area where they feel confident. Some people that's in the kitchen., others its not.



How often do you use a recipe?
Of course you're not lazy, just a skilled cook! I think when we all started cooking when we were little, we were taught one way to make something with passed down recipes and ways of doing things. As we got older, we add our own twists and spins on those normal recipes, (like applesauce and omelets) so we don't need a recipe for them. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who never cooked with their parents or grandparents, or would just like to know how other people do the simplest of cooking tasks. For you, newer recipes maybe require a once over and then you're all set, but some others may need that tool of assurance. If I'm baking, I follow the recipe almost exactly, but with other dishes, I can do a quick read and make it (I don't know why) or if it's something that is very difficult, I follow the recipe exactly the first time, then put my own love into it the second time. This is one of the reasons why I love cooking so much, there are thousands, maybe millions of different ways of making just one dish and you have been blessed with a natural talent, not laziness.

Happy Cooking to you!
I will look at a recipe and follow it for the first time in regards to casseroles, roast, BBQ's, soups, etc... but when it comes to making it for the second third time and so on... i will make it as i like it.. i add things to it... or take out what i don't like.. but for baking pies, cakes and cookies.. i will follow the recipe... also i will make things up.. and nine times out of ten they turn out awesome...
i used to do that all the time untill recently. ive learned sometimes putting your own twist on things may sound good but it takes away the essence of the meal. if that makes since. like we kept adding garlic and onion powder in the tomato sauce, and no one ever wanted to eat spagehttie so one day i followed a recipe exactly and it was AWESOME! give it a try.

www.allrecipes.com
I don't think you are a lazy person. I think some people (myself included) just feel a little less confident in the kitchen and may feel they need a lot of assistance, particularly if they are having guests around etc.

Other people may just generally not have a clue :0)
I don't think you are lazy. You are a confident and creative cook in the kitchen. I personally like recipes and make adjustments to my liking. My husband on the other hand can look in the fridge and make something wonderful out of what he finds.




I use recipes when it comes to baking, pastry and candy making but when it comes to cooking, rarely. If I am told what ingredients are in a recipe and which cooking methods are needed, I go from there.
There's a lot of things I can make from memory, but I still refer to recipes a lot. I call it Leaky Brain Syndrome. I just know if I try to make even an old favorite, I invariably forget 1 or 2 important ingredients.
If i am cooking something new for the first time i usually follow one, but even then i like to add my own ingredients and leave certain ones out.
1-2 times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment