Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Is it a horrible idea to take a 21-month-old to a pro baseball game?

We're thinking of taking my dad to a Pirates games (he's from PA) on Father's Day. He thinks the kids will be happier at the Pittsburgh Zoo but my brother and sister think their kids would enjoy the game more, so it comes down to my daughter. I think she'll be bored and restless. Any input?Is it a horrible idea to take a 21-month-old to a pro baseball game?
Your father is wise.



I'm older than 21 months and I'd be bored at a baseball game. My daughter is 8. She likes to go the the football game... for the first 20 minutes. Then she wants to move.



Go to the zoo.
I think they will be bored, restless, and drive everyone around them nuts.Is it a horrible idea to take a 21-month-old to a pro baseball game?
You already know it is...LOL.



Your dad is a smart man plus, he'd rather his grandkids be happy.
The toddler might make it through 3 innings. Your choice. Are you willing to spend the rest of the game on the concourse walking around keeping the kid occupied so the other people can watch the end?



I vote zoo.
Baseball games can be awfully long...my 2.5 year old likes watching different sporting events, but he is interested in watching for about 30 minutes and then he is ready to roam. I'd say go to the zoo...that is something that ALL of you will be able to enjoy.
idk my son loved sports games at 21 months. ball was one of his first words. lol. but i took him because i knew he would watch. i you dont think your daughter would sit still, then i would find something else everyone could enjoy.
Is there a minor league field near you? We haven't braved taking our 2 year old to the real ballpark yet, but we are seriously considering taking him down to see a Triple A game. Minor league parks are smaller, less crowded and more family friendly. The one nearish to us has a little playground that you can see the field from!



I think she'll either be bored or she'll be freaked out by the crowds and noise. And I don't know about the park near you, but I really don't want my son climbing around those insanely steep steps. Nor do I want to carry him. We've thought about getting cheap tickets for a day game some day, going down to see the warm up stuff and maybe staying for an inning or two. But not a full game until he can actually follow it a bit.
the 21 month old is going to enjoy the zoo more because it is more exciting... you could take her to the game but she will probably be bored and try to move a lot!
no
We took my 20-month-old to an MLB game a few weeks ago. He couldn't have cared less about the game itself -- I don't think he understood that there was even a game going on -- but he spent about 2 full innings just looking around and taking it all in (the lights, scoreboard, crowd, music, vendors, etc). After that he got restless, so we walked around on the concourse for a long time, then sat back down for snacks. We missed most of the game and left in the 6th inning.



You know your child best -- if she is the kind of kid who can sit still for a long time or is easily distracted, try it. If not, go to the zoo and save the game for next year, or compromise and get a sitter for your daughter and go to the game with the rest of the family.
Well I took my son to a baseball game once when he was like that age, he had fun with his grandpa, we brought candy because we came from a bday party and we got juice for him and he had fun! It wasn't a pro game so it lasted a lot less and my dad wasn't stressed out trying to pay attention to the game or anything..



I'd go but very well prepared with toys and books and snacks and everything she loves :) Have fun!!
it'll probably be pretty busy since it's fathers day -- you could call the ball park and ask how full the stadium is going to be. I wouldn't go if it's going to be really busy. we wanted to take my then-15 month old to a minor league ball game but the stadium ended up being really packed (there was some guy there that did something important for something. lol.) so we didn't bring him. if it's not crowded and you've got room then it won't be so bad -- you probably won't make it through the whole game though so drive separately so you can leave early if you decide to go.



so all in all, if it's going to be a pretty full park then I'd skip it and go to the zoo.
I took my son to his first pro baseball game when he was 8 months old. He has been to 4 or 5 since, at ages anywhere from 10 months to 19 months and has loved every one of them. He gets a little restless and I don't get to enjoy the game like I did when I went before he was born, but that's ok. If you do take her don't expect that she will want to sit and watch the game obviously, but there's a lot going on and she would probably have fun walking around the stadium and looking at everything. My son is always infatuated with the mascots, and our ballpark has a huge slide and a little kid area that he loves to play in.



I agree your daughter would probably like the zoo more than the game, but if you are looking to be agreeable with the rest of the family I don't think the game would be a nightmare or anything. I'm actually taking my 20 month old to another one in 2 weeks and am really looking forward to it.
We're taking Elyse to a major league game on Friday, the game is sold out so it will be crowded. She's pretty content to hang out with us wherever we are though. She's sat through classical concerts, 5 course dinners, etc. It depends on the personality of the child. She is a bit older too but still a toddler, 27 months. We're always ready to leave if necessary and don't push our luck if we see she's starting to get bored.



If your dad is content to go to the zoo instead than I would just do that if you are unsure.

No comments:

Post a Comment